Jewels of sacred art and medieval architecture add to the character of this hilltop village in Media Val Cavallina (Middle Val Cavallina valley).
Vigano San Martino is a small municipality in Media Val Cavallina (the central part of the valley), situated on the right banks of the river Cherio. The village shows a powerful influence of the Middle Ages: in fact, visible traces of a castle (near the present-day parish church) and the remains of several fortifications can be seen.
The fine parish church of St John the Baptist, built in the Romanesque style in 1535, had a corner of a castle as its bell tower. 18th-century renovations gave it its current appearance, with many frescoes and paintings, and a valuable altar by the school of the Fantoni family of artists.
Another interesting example of sacred art is the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Fiore and San Martino, seen and appreciated by Saint Charles (San Carlo) Borromeo during a visit to Val Cavallina in 1575. This small place of worship is still today a true jewel of rural spirituality.
In more recent times, in the early 20th century, the village of Vigano San Martino was merged with the neighbouring municipalities of Borgo di Terzo, Berzo San Fermo and Grone, taking the name of Borgounito, retained until 1948 when the municipalities were split into their former configurations.